The Winters family strive to live in the now, while grinding with two children with type 1 diabetes under the age of 7. They were the perfect guests as they’re honest and open about the daily diabetes struggles; highlighting the daily battles force-feeding when low or having to pull out the Glucagon pen. If a black light were involved, their home might resemble a CSI crime scene, but they choose to use laughter as their number one form of medicine. We chat low BG manipulation, misdiagnosis, trusting your gut, donut Fridays, rolling with the punches and doing everything in your power to provide a “normal” life with two boys living with diabetes. This isn’t your parenting “how to guide”, it’s real life and they’re learning along the way.
This week’s episode was made possible by TrialReach.com. They are changing the paradigm of diabetes clinical trials. In minutes, they connect you with diabetes trials in your neighborhood… or 100 miles away! To see it happen for yourself (and possibly get hooked up in a trial), click the box below.
- Take a listen to the full DDG theme song by Mike Hosty, HERE. or check out the live version on this Youtube link
- The boys both wear adorable pouches to house their pumps and sensors. Check out Too Sweet Boutique to score their Angry Birds and Robot pouches.
- They won the diabetes lottery by scoring two kiddos with T1D! According to the Joslin Diabetes Center, if one child in a family has T1D, their siblings have about a 1 in 10 risk of developing it by age 50.
- Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet (TrialNet) is an international network of researchers who are exploring ways to prevent, delay and reverse the progression of T1D by conducting a simple blood test on family members. They will even mail your physician a test packet if you don’t have a location near by.
- Trust your gut and prick a finger should you question your physician. You are your children’s health care advocate!
Pingback: The High Handbook, Rule #5: No More Eating | Diabetes Daily Grind | Real Life Diabetes Podcast
Pingback: Through Pregnancy And Back... Twice | Sarah Swanberg | Real Life Diabetes Podcast 40 - Diabetes Daily Grind | Real Life Diabetes PodcastDiabetes Daily Grind | Real Life Diabetes Podcast