It’s one thing to be the person receiving a type 1 diabetes diagnosis. It’s yours. It’s pretty straight forward for you. Take shots, count carbs, and survive. To be on the other side of the glass, as the parents, is another challenge in itself. Parenting can set the foundation for a successful life of type 1 diabetes management. The Fightmasters have an endless collection of diabetes experience, including crazy low blood sugars, insulin mix-ups, little league sports, and sending a kid to college. Their perspective is one of autonomy, flexibility, forgiveness, and empowerment. We joked, debated, and even came close to shedding a tear, although it was right in the middle of Oklahoma’s allergy season.
We love these people and dished out various shoutouts during the podcast:
- Rich Roll Podcast with Robin Arzon
- Scott Johnson from ScottsDiabetes.com
Here’s the list of miscellaneous stuff from this week’s talk:
- The Official Signs and Symptoms of Diabetes
- Everyone made fun of Ryan for his outlandish estimation of 10 million current type 1 diabetics and here’s the truth… JDRF estimates 3 million total people with a T1D diagnosis. Not too far off, I guess.
- Amber talked about the weight challenges involved with her earlier years on NPH. This article tends to agree with her sentiment.
Podcast #5 is UP!: Navigating Parent Fears, College Lessons Learned, & The Power Of Friends | http://t.co/mMvrj2Eje5 http://t.co/vrsQ5NAdS3
RT @DiabetesGrind: Podcast #5 is UP!: Navigating Parent Fears, College Lessons Learned, & The Power Of Friends | http://t.co/mMvrj2Eje5 htt…
Parents don’t sign up for the diabetes job. For most it’s a bombshell. We all explore it all in RLD #5. #Podcast #T1D http://t.co/IkY9Rhtc3i
How To Rear A Diabetic Child…Whoa, let’s use parent instead of rear. RLD Episode 5. #Parenting #podcast #dpodcast http://t.co/8MC8kZDDyT
Pingback: Sparking A Movement From Your Own Experience | Chris "Pick" Pickering, Co-Founder of TheBetesBros | Real Life Diabetes Podcast 44 - Diabetes Daily Grind | Real Life Diabetes PodcastDiabetes Daily Grind | Real Life Diabetes Podcast